Friday, September 5, 2008

Welcome to Williamsburg, It's Effing Nuts

I've successfully arrived in Williamsburg, a neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY. The move couldn't have gone more smoothly, a fact I particularly appreciated after reading a vignette about a girl locking herself out of her apartment twice during the course of a day while moving. While amusing to read, I don't think I would have handled the situation well in real time.

But even the ease of the this physical transition doesn't mean that it's without emotional hardships. I couldn't have asked for a better place to live or greater roommates, and I am nothing less than blissful that it only takes a subway ride to get to my boyfriend's place. Still, I miss the certainty of knowing my surroundings.

In times such of these, missing my comfort food establishments hits hard.
I don't know the location of grocery stores; I certainly don't know where to find any products once inside them. I don't know where to order from when I want comfort food. I don't even know the layout of my own kitchen yet. Exploring the area for new finds excites me. I love turning into the nooks and crannies of streets to find a great cup of coffee or some tres magnifique French cuisine. Until I know a couple of those streets a little better though, it feels a bit like floating through a sea and I can't quite stay above water yet. What I wouldn't give right now for a familiar falafel or a guaranteed good cupcake.

Soon I'll know my way around better than a puppy through a pee covered yard. I won't know which tree to sniff, I'll love them all so much. Until then though, I'll just have to adjust bit by bit, night by night, and with the help of my those that love me around here.

There have to be at least a couple of people that feel that way about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment