Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Let's make this clear.. an entry on selectarianism

When people ask what I eat, I tell them I am a vegan.

When I go to restaurants where the only vegan option is salad I will order something that has dairy in it.

"How contradictory! Outrage!" You exclaim!

But I don't see it that way. Let me explain.

I chose to become a vegan six-seven months ago in January 2008. I read "Skinny Bitch" and immediately had to completely give up meat. If you want to know why the change had to be so quick, read the book. Otherwise, just trust me, I had to. But the book doesn't stop there, it advocates for full fledged veganism. In addition, the authors hate refined sugars, coffee and constipation. They really go all out.

Eventually I do want to be a full-fledged, card-carrying vegan. I recognize that the world hasn't made the shift yet and sometimes I have to adjust to that.
So I chose to go vegan, cut back on my alcohol intake and nix all the caffeine. I haven't been completely successful. I still drink coffee on mornings when I can't see straight and I think even if it's organic vegan red wine, drinking a bottle of it is not on the recommended list. But what I have found is that just like any lifestyle decision, putting it into practice involves a lot of work and adjustment. Frankly, I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish. Here's how I've done it so far:

  • At home, all the food is vegan. The food I cook, snack on and bring with me somewhere adheres to the strictest of vegan rules. I love trying to make new dishes, and if they suck, I can only blame myself. Or my roommate.

  • At restaurants without clear vegan options I am more lax. Have you ever gone out to eat with someone on a strict diet and they took 15 minutes to order? I know the cook is probably going to cook my grilled vegetables in butter (or worse) no matter what I ask for, so I try to keep it as simple as possible.

  • Eating with my boyfriend is where I really mess up. What can I say? He makes me so happy, and really how could I tell him no when he orders me ice cream? Plus we're in a little bit of a battle of the meat eater vs. the vegan. Even I'll admit sometimes a little compromise is necessary to keep everyone afloat. He did take a bite of my vegan (read: tofu) quiche, so we're both trying!

Eventually I do want to be a full-fledged, card-carrying vegan. I recognize that the world hasn't made the shift yet and sometimes I have to adjust to that. I pick my battles - and most importantly, I feel good. How can you argue with that? So when I tell you I'm a vegan, I mean that I am against factory farms, pollution and cruelty. When I order the veggie burger even though there is cheese in the patty, it means that I'm doing the best I can. Some people are better, but somebody's always going to be better. Those jerks can look down on me all they want.

I'm still occasionally going to order the portobello entree even if it comes with a cream sauce. And I'm going to like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment